Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic sessions in Northeast Conference

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Oct 11 16:17:28 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Arabic sessions in Northeast Conference

Date:  11 Oct  2002
From: Samia Montasser <montasser at un.org>
Subject:Arabic sessions in Northeast Conference

Dear Colleagues,
As you may know, the Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign
Languages, an organization of FL educators with a rich history of
leadership and advocacy, is holding its 50th anniversary conference in
Washington DC this coming April 10-13, 2003.  NECTFL brings together
professionals from all levels, pre-kindergarten through university, and
all
languages.  An outgrowth of the Yale-Barnard French Conference, NECTFL
functioned as the national association for foreign language teachers
until
the creation of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign
Languages
in 1968.  Even now, our conference attracts educators from 40 states
and 15
foreign countries, and we are recognized for our role as innovator and
catalyst in the profession.
Beginning in 1999, partly as a result of the work of an
Egyptian-American
student intern at our headquarters office, we have hoped to include more
offerings of interest to Arabic teachers in our program.  This year, we
have several sessions, but we have still not succeeded in locating
publishers or software developers who might want a table or booth in our
exhibit hall.  We would like to ask your help in two ways:
      first, we have saved two additional slots on our program for Arabic
      sessions (60 minutes) or workshops (3 or 6 hours), and we wondered
      whether any of you might be willing to present at the conference
this
      coming April;
      second, we would like to make our conference even more attractive
      teachers of Arabic at all levels by locating potential exhibitors.
Would any of you have suggestions or be willing to help us in this
ongoing
endeavor?  If so, please let me know immediately, as our preliminary
program will go to press soon, and we would like to include information
on
pertinent exhibitors and/or sessions.  If you can present a session,
please
include your fax number so we can send you a form to fill out.  And
thank
you very much in advance for your time and trouble.
We were thrilled and honored to have Ahmed Ferhadi as a panelist at two
sessions in New York last April, including one in which teachers and
students of Arabic shared their experiences with a raptly attentive
audience.
I do look forward to hearing from you, even if a contribution this year
is
not possible.  Your own AATA and MESA conferences are held, if I am not
mistaken, in November.  We would be proud to make NECTFL the spring
conference of choice for Arabic educators!
Cordially,
Rebecca R. Kline
Executive Director
NECTFL