Arabic-L:LING:Needs info on Berber corpus

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Oct 30 19:55:41 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Needs info on Berber corpus

Date:  30 Oct 2002
From: Amina Mettouchi <amina.mettouchi at free.fr> reposted from Corpora
Subject:Needs info on Berber corpus

Dear Colleagues,

I need scientific and technical advice to put together a corpus of
Berber (Afroasiatic).
I am currently coordinating the project, which is to be launched by the
INALCO (Langues'O) in Paris. A workshop is scheduled on Friday 6
December, in order to reflect on all aspects of the entreprise.
The main facts about this project are described below. If you can
provide advice on any aspect, please do. I would be very happy to
benefit from your experience.

Berber languages are mostly spoken (some of them have just recently
started to be written).
It is currently impossible to have access to Berber corpora other than
by recording one’s own material, or asking fellow-researchers for their
tapes or transcripts. The aim of this project is to constitute a
unified database/textbase accessible to researchers working on Berber.
The project involves cooperation among researchers working on Berber,
since the base will consist in transcripts of actual interactions
provided by researchers (together with interlinear glosses, a
translation, and audiotapes/videotapes).
We have already selected appropriate transcription symbols, but are
still discussing norms for the collection of data (wordprocessor,
recording standards for prosodic treatment, basic and unified
information on speakers, recording conditions, archivation system,
access...). Emphasis is on the variety of genres, of dialects, of
speakers. Special attention will be devoted to conversational corpora,
as well as culture-specific interactions.
We are not planning to tag or parse the corpus right away, but if we
can proceed in a way that will allow this in future, it would be nice.

Thank you for your help,

Best wishes

Amina