Arabic-L:LIT:new book

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Oct 30 19:55:49 UTC 2002

1) Subject:new book

Date:  30 Oct 2002
From:reposted from Arabic-Info from Suzanne Stetkevych
<stetkevy at indiana.edu>
Subject:new book

Dear Colleagues,

I'm please to announce the publication of my new book:

Suzanne Pinckney Stetkevych,
THE POETICS OF ISLAMIC LEGITIMACY:
MYTH, GENDER, AND CEREMONY IN THE CLASSICAL ARABIC ODE
Indiana University Press, 2002. pp. xvi + 383.

Contents:

Ch. 1. 	Transgression and Redemption: Cuckolding the King
	Al-Nabighah al-Dhubyani and the Pre-Islamic Royal Ode

Ch. 2.	Transmission and Submission: Praising the Prophet
	Ka`b ibn Zuhayr and the Islamic Ode

Ch. 3 	Celebration and Restoration: Praising the Caliph
	Al-Akhtal and the Umayyad Victory Ode

Ch. 4.	Supplication and Negotiation: The Client Outraged
	Al-Akhtal and the Supplicatory Ode

Ch. 5	Political Dominion as Sexual Domination
	Abu al-Atahiyah, Abu Tammam, and the Poetics of Power

Ch. 6	The Poetics of Political Allegiance
	Praise and Blame in Three Odes by al-Mutanabbi

Ch. 7.	The Poetics of Ceremony and the Competition for Legitimacy
	Al-Muhannad al-Baghdadi, Muhammad ibn Shukhays, Ibn Darraj
	al-Qastalli, and the Andalusian Ode

Cloth $49.95 Paper $29.95
IU Press: website: http://iupress.indiana.edu
           e-mail: iupress at indiana.edu