Arabic-L:GEN:Arabic on PC response

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Oct 30 19:56:01 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Arabic on PC response
2) Subject:Arabic on PC response

Date:  30 Oct 2002
From: William Kopycki <kopycki at sois.uwm.edu>
Subject:Arabic on PC response

Aman,

I use XP (Windows & Office); here's a couple of suggestions:

1. As long as your language is set to "AR", and the alignment is set to
"right", there shouldn't be any problems adding words at the beginning
of sentences. May be something in your settings? Cursor alignment does
become problematic when you're trying to edit numerical figures, but
that is another topic altogether.

2. If you'd like to create a bilingual list, your best bet may be to
create a 2-column table, placing the Arabic words in the left column,
and English in the right. You can then use the Cell Alignment
(right-click on the cell, or select all the cells in the table) to
adjust the placement of the words. Then, if you don't want readers to be
distracted with the table and cell borders, just right-click and pull up
the Table Properties, click on Borders and Shading, and set the Borders
to "none".

3. When you type the times, you have to type starting with the hour
first (i.e. to type 1:15, you would press the "1", ":", "1", "5" keys in
that order to have it display correctly. This is in contrast to typing
on a manual Arabic typewriter where you have to type the number keys in
order from right-to-left.

Hope that helps! If you are still having problems, please feel free to
contact me off-list and we can start looking at more specific settings
on your computer.
Regards,

William.