Arabic-L:PEDA:FLTA program

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Oct 31 20:46:47 UTC 2002

1) Subject:FLTA program

Date:  31 Oct  2002
From: "Monks, Edward" <EMonks at iie.org> (by way of Kirk Belnap)
Subject:FLTA program

[I have not enclosed the referred-to attachment (the FLT application),
as per Arabic-L policy, but I'm sure you could get it either at the web
site, or directly from Mr. Monks.--moderator]

Dear Colleagues,

My name is Edward Monks and I am the manager of the Foreign Language
Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program at the Institute of International
Education (IIE). We have been asked by the U.S. Department of State's
Office
of Academic Exchange Programs to locate institutions and place language
teaching assistants at universities and colleges in the United States as
part of a strategic language initiative. As a result, IIE is expanding
its
Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program to place more
emphasis on
critical languages. We would like you to consider participation in the
program. Please feel free to forward this information to any of your
colleagues you believe would be interested.  Arabic, Bahasa Indonesian,
Bengali, Hausa, Hindi, Persian, Pushtu, Swahili, Tajik, Turkish, Urdu
and
Uzbek are the critical languages we are targeting at this time.

These FLTAs would be Fulbright scholars and are expected to teach their
language/culture for up to 20 hours per week while taking two courses
per
semester. The grant is for one academic year and is non-renewable. The
courses that these FLTAs take do not have to be for credit and do not
have
to be graduate level. It is expected they would take literature,
history or
political science courses. The program is designed to have native
language
and cultural informants be close in age to undergraduate students.
Selected
candidates will have a minimum of a bachelors degree (many will have
their
masters) and all will have experience teaching. It is expected they
would
teach beginning level or conversation courses, serve as resource
persons in
conversation groups, cultural representatives, attendants in language
laboratories, coordinators of extracurricular activities, or
supervisors of
clubs and language houses. Each institution is free to assign duties
that
will best meet the needs of the particular school's unique
circumstances.

Fulbright will pay for travel, health insurance and monthly
maintenance. We
request that the institutions where FLTAs are placed try to cost share
in
some way. Most schools are able to arrange for a tuition waiver for the
required two courses per semester. Some institutions are able to offer a
housing arrangement that is either free or at a reduced rate.

I would appreciate if you could let me know via e-mail if your
institution
would be interested in participating in the FLTA Program in any one of
the
above mentioned languages. Completed applications need to be submitted
by
February 15, 2003 for the program beginning in the Fall. The application
which needs to be completed is attached to this message.

Dossiers of selected candidates in the language you request will be
submitted for your review in late February. At that time you can review
the
dossiers to determine which FLTA would be a good fit for your school and
submit your ranking to IIE. We aim to have the process complete by late
March.

If you would like some information on the Institute of International
Education (IIE) please visit our website at www.iie.org
<http://www.iie.org>. You can read more about the FLTA Program by
typing in
FLTA in the Program Search.