Arabic-L:GEN:OS X Jaguar Arabic Support

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Sep 6 15:32:36 UTC 2002

1) Subject:OS X Jaguar Arabic Support
2) Subject:OS X Jaguar Arabic Support:more info
3) Subject:OS X Jaguar Arabic Support:creating your own keyboard
layouts for Arabic Typing

Date:  06 Sep 2002
From: dparvaz at unm.edu
Subject:OS X Jaguar Arabic Support

Greetings, all:

I went ahead and installed MacOS X 10.2 ("Jaguar") and they seem to be
getting closer to decent unicode support, including for Arabic. A few
observations:

1. The terminal window uses UTF-8, but the Aqua applications (e.g.
textedit) need UTF-16.
2. To convert Windows Arabic to Unicode, use this command from the
terminal window:
       %iconv -f cp1256 -t utf-8 [filename]
       then pipe it to another file, or whatever.
3. Lynx can be modified to show UTF-8.
4. "less" can be fooled into showing UTF-8 by telling it the charset is
koi8
5. So far, none of the browsers do a decent job of displaying Arabic
6. For Aqua apps, I think a recompile is needed before we can be
certain that the new-and-improved unicode support is implemented.

More updates as events warrant.

Cheers,

Dan.