Arabic-L:PEDA:Written Proficiency Exams for Natives and Non-Natives query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Sep 18 17:48:29 UTC 2002

1) Subject:Written Proficiency Exams for Natives and Non-Natives query

Date:  18 Sep 2002
From: Ahmed Ferhadi <ahmed.ferhadi at nyu.edu>
Subject:Written Proficiency Exams for Natives and Non-Natives query

Dear All,
For the benefit of many on this list, including yours truly, I would
like to post the following question which a colleague recently asked
me. I have already told him about ACTFL's OPI (Oral Proficiency
Interview):
"In the US and/or Europe, are there written (as opposed to the purely
oral OPI) internationally recognized exams for non-native speakers of
Arabic similar to TOEFL for non-native speakers of English? How can an
individual or institution take such an exam?
Also, are there such exams for NATIVE speakers of Arabic as well in the
Arab World or in the West?"
Ahmed Ferhadi
New York University