Arabic-L:LING:Taariq 9aziiz and the Glorious Past

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Apr 29 19:13:48 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Taariq 9aziiz and the Glorious Past

Date: 29 Apr 2003
From: Gert Borg <g.borg at let.kun.nl>
Subject:Taariq 9aziiz and the Glorious Past

Dear list members,

My morning paper aggravated my lousy humor this morning by alleging
that "Tarik Aziz" is a self assigned name of the person in question
with the meaning of "Glorious Past". The clumsiness of this
"derivation" is evident, but I was shocked to learn from the editor,
that this story actually circulates at AP, AFP, Reuters and CNN as
well. Has any other member of the list come across the same canard?

Best wishes,

Gert Borg