Arabic-L:GEN:Unicode and IPA responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Apr 29 19:14:04 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Unicode and IPA response
2) Subject:Unicode and IPA response
3) Subject:Unicode and IPA response

Date: 29 Apr 2003
From: Tom Emerson <tree at basistech.com>
Subject:Unicode and IPA response

Muhamed Khalil writes:
> We put an article we wrote on Gulf Arabic into HTML using Unicode as
> requested by the publisher. The Arabic characters appeared, but some
> IPA symbols turned out as boxes. Any ideas on the reasons and how to
> resolve this?

This is undoubtedly a font issue. Assuming that your IPA symbols are
encoded correctly you (or your publisher) will need to find a suitable
font. The SIL International has several IPA fonts available:

http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/
show_software_catalog.asp?by=cat&name=Font

You may also want to look at

          http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm

to see if something there will work for you.

Regards,
Tom Emerson