Arabic-L:U of Iowa Job (PT)

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Aug 14 22:24:13 UTC 2003

1) Subject:U of Iowa Job (PT)

Date: 14 Aug 2003
From: "James P. Pusack" <james-pusack at uiowa.edu>
Subject:U of Iowa Job (PT)

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to let you, your colleagues, and your students know of a
new Lecturership in Arabic in the Department of Linguistics at the
University of Iowa.  Funding for this position has been received as a
part our federally-funded National Resource Center (NRC) in
International Studies.  The person we hire will have the opportunity to
inaugurate a new program in Arabic language at Iowa-a prospect that has
proven to very exciting for all our departments involved with
second-language acquisition and international studies.  As co-director
of the NRC I would like to ask for your help in making this opening
known to qualified applicants.  Although it is not a full-time
position, it might prove an ideal situation for candidates completing
their advanced degrees.  Under ideal conditions, we would hope to hire
someone for the coming fall semester, 2003.  Here is the official
position announcement:

Lecturer in Arabic Language, non-tenure-track

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Iowa seeks a
Lecturer in Arabic Language, non-tenure-track, 67%-time, for the
academic year 2003-04. The position will begin with a one-year
contract, renewable upon review for up to a total of six semesters.
Ideally the position will begin September 2003, but a start date of
January 2004 will also be considered, in which case the appointment
would be for 3 semesters. The successful candidate should hold an M.A.
in a related field, preferably in Arabic or applied linguistics; an ABD
or Ph.D. is preferred.  The candidate should have native or near-native
fluency in Modern Standard Arabic and English.  We  seek a
professionally-qualified candidate with a  commitment to teaching
Arabic for academic purposes.  Previous foreign/second language
teaching experience and/or training in SLA theories and methods
required.  Responsibilities include teaching four sections of Arabic
language per year or the equivalent.
Send letter of application and complete dossier (including three
letters of reference) to Catherine Ringen, Chair, Department of
Linguistics, 570 English-Philosophy Building, University of Iowa, Iowa
City, IA 52242.  No electronic submissions, please. Screening begins
August 15, 2003 and continues until the position is filled. The
University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
  Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
We are looking for a new colleague who will not only provide
instruction and leadership in the teaching of Arabic, but who will also
collaborate with colleagues in several departments and our Ph.D.
program in Second Language Acquisition (FLARE).  We hope you will pass
this information on to likely applicants at your institution or to your
recent graduates.
Sincerely yours,

James P. Pusack, NRC Co-Director