Arabic-L:LING:mawthabaan

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Dec 1 19:19:00 UTC 2003

1) Subject:mawthabaan
2) Subject:mawthabaan

Date: 01 Dec  2003
From: Michael Fishbein <fishbein at humnet.ucla.edu>
Subject:mawthabaan

The Arabic dictionaries note that in the language of South Arabia
(lughat Himyar) the root w-th-b meant "to sit." They quote an anecdote
about a northern Arab who, when told "thib" by a South Arabian prince,
cast himself to his death from a cliff. Someone explained that in
Northern Arabia "thib" meant "jump," not "sit down"; whereupon the
prince offered an apology for the linguistic confusion: "laysa 'indanaa
'arabiyyat, man dakhala Zafaari Hammar." (We don't have Arabic; anyone
who enters Zafar speaks Himyari.)

Cognates in other Semitic languages with similar meaning include Hebrew
y-sh-b and Akkadian w-sh-b. One might speculate that the semantic
development from sitting to being a prince or ruler came from the idea
of enthronement as an attribute of kingship. The Arabic dictionary
quoted by Lane (I think Mukhtar al-Sahih) explains the term mawthaban
as meaning a ruler who does not go on military expeditions (i.e., sits
at home). This seems a bit fanciful. In any case, however, the Arabic
lexicographic tradition was aware that mawthaban in the sense of prince
or king was a South Arabian term.