Arabic-L:GEN:pronunciation responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Tue Feb 4 21:12:04 UTC 2003

1) Subject:pronunciation response
2) Subject:pronunciation response
3) Subject:pronunciation response
4) Subject:pronunciation response
5) Subject:pronunciation thanks

Date: 04 Feb 2003
From: Joost Kremers <j.kremers at let.kun.nl>
Subject: pronunciation response

> May i ask how to pronounce the middle name of
> Dr. Huda Smitshuijzen AbiFarès, who wrote "Arabic Typography:
> A Comprehensive Sourcebook" ?
>
> sh-mit-shuiy-ts-en ?
> sh-mi-chui-jen ???

It's a Dutch name, and 'Huda' being a feminine name, I suspect it's not
her
middle name but the name of her husband. The pronunciation is roughly:

smits-hui-zen

So the -ts belong to the first syllable, the second syllable starts with
the h. The combination 'uij' (including the 'j'!) is a diphpthong that's
rare in other languages. (I don't know of any language that has it.)
It's
roughly a French u + i. Most foreign speakers replace it with the sound
of
'ow' in English 'now'. Furthermore, the -i- in 'Smits-' is like in
English
'in', and the -e- is a schwa. Stress is on the first syllable.

Hope this is enough information. :-)