Arabic-L:LING:Needs orthography/spoken studies

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Feb 7 17:34:31 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Needs orthography/spoken studies

Date: 07 Feb 2003
From: aquilr at georgetown.edu
Subject:Needs orthography/spoken studies

Hello to all.

I have replicated Melher et al.81 study of syllable monitoring on
Cairene spoken Arabic and found that Arabic script and orthography
effected processing/accessing spoken Arabic syllables. I was wondering
if anyone could lead me to studies investigating the effect of
orthography specifically Arabic on processing Arabic spoken
language.   I would also like to ask if anybody knows about references
on deletions or contraction-like phonological processes in Egyptian
colloquial Arabic.

Thanks in advance.

Rajaa Aquil
aquilr at georgetown.edu