Arabic-L:LING:Reflexes of Daad

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Feb 21 22:48:32 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Reflexes of Daad

Date: 21 Feb 2003
From: dparvaz at mac.com
Subject:Reflexes of Daad

> Now my question, Is it possible that some dialects of Arabic,
> particularly those confined to the Arabian Peninsula have maintained a
> lateral fricative articulation of Daad?

Caveat: this is anecdotal, and based on recollection.

In some Baghdadi speakers, I've heard a couple of variants. While
working in MSA, I have heard Daad pronounced as a lateral fricative
postvocalically. In colloquial Arabic, It looks like it slips to a
pharyngealized alveolar fricative as in "maZbuuT."  Again, this looks
postvocalic.

So, can this be described in your favorite theory/formalism (whatever
that is :-) as assimilating [+ cont] (and maybe even [+strident])?
Again, I haven't really investigated this.

Cheers,

Dan.