Arabic-L:LING:Nominative Greetings

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Feb 28 19:36:32 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Nominative Greetings
2) Subject:Nominative Greetings
3) Subject:Nominative Greetings

Date: 28 Feb 2003
From: enm at umich.edu
Subject:Nominative Greetings

And I cannot resist adding two more cents:

I have heard both used, and in each case the explanation is that you
can fill
in the ellipsis either way:  nom. if the underlying sentence is
SabaaHu-l-
xayri lakum 'A good morning to you' and acc. if the underlying sentence
is 'uSabbiHu-kum SabaaHa-l-xayri 'I bid you a good morning'.

Ernest McCarus