Arabic-L:GEN:Arabic on Windows quereis

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jan 9 17:16:06 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Diacritics under Windows XP or 2000
1) Subject:Can't find Ariel Unicode

Date:  09 Jan 2003
From: Ignacio Ferrando Frutos <ignacio.ferrando at uca.es>
Subject:Diacritics under Windows XP or 2000

Dear members,
when trying to use a font like Traditional Arabic under Windows XP (or
2000), WORD xp (or 2000), it is true that kasra and fatha (like other
diacritics) appear quite far from the line, thus producing troubles
unless you select a large space among lines. However, one may observe
that another kasra and another fatha (closer to the line and apparently
more suitable) exist in the set of symbols you can insert at any place
in your documents. Unfortunately, these very "promising" symbols are
marked as "private use character" and so not available to the user.
Does anyone of you know how can we make use of these characters? Maybe
another full version of the font is needed?
Thanks,
ignacio ferrando
ignacio.ferrando at uca.es