Arabic-L:LING:'mosque' etymology

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jan 9 17:16:54 UTC 2003

1) Subject:'mosque' etymology
2) Subject:'mosque' etymology
3) Subject:'mosque' etymology
4) Subject:'mosque' etymology

Date:  09 Jan 2003
From: Jim Rader <jrader at Merriam-Webster.com>
Subject:'mosque' etymology

The "mosquito" etymology of <mosque> is Web folklore, "urban
legend," or what you will.  At the entry <mosquée> in the French
monolingual dictionary _Trésor de la langue française_ you will find
an etymology with full bibliographical references that traces the
Romance word (borrowed into English from French, ultimately) to
Arabic <masjid>.

Jim Rader