Arabic-L:GEN:diacritics on Windows

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 27 16:50:36 UTC 2003

1) Subject:diacritics on Windows

Date:  27 Jan 2003
From: Tim Buckwalter <TimBuckwalter at earthlink.net>
Subject:diacritics on Windows

I have the impression that all Arabic Windows fonts display diacritics
relative to the height/position of the letter they go with. I find it
easier to read Arabic text in which diacritics are displayed on a
constant level. Two recently published dictionaries by Mark Van Mol use
exactly this method of displaying diacritics, and you can see sample
pages on his website:
  http://www.kuleuven.ac.be/ilt/arabisch/engels.htm
I believe the desktop publishing was done with Adobe InDesign on a Mac,
although a Windows version exists as well. I wonder whether the
diacritics placement is OS-based or whether it's font-specific
regardless of OS.

Regards,
Tim