Araobc-L:LING:ummaat du2uun

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 4 16:47:19 UTC 2003

1) Subject:ummaat du2uun

Date: 04 Jun 2003
From: jolanda guardi <jolandaguardi at iol.it>
Subject:ummaat du2uun

answer to 3)
ummat adh-dhuqun refers to the umma, the community
the expression means somenthing like "the land of bearded men"
Jolanda Guardi

Date: 04 Jun 2003
From: GnhBos at aol.com

Looking at such a short and possibly out of context expression:

plural form ummaat du2uun (the mothers of beards)?

Here, "Ummaat" may not be plural of mother, rather
a "Nation" of beards, which can easily be said in
a derogatory manner. The plural, I think, would be,
"Ummahat" of beards.

Also, "Abu" can be used in an insulting manner, for
example, "Abu Khara" can be heard on the streets
of Beirut, or Jerusalem for that matter.

Needless to say, "ibn" is regularly used to insult one's
family background (as in SOB), as well as, Akhu, or
ekht/ukht. You may call me SOB, but "Brother Of B", is
too insulting. They say, once, during the civil war in Lebanon,
the cease fire was broken after one party said something to
someone's sister! Here goes another expression: "Lattasha
or Lattash'ha 7akee/KaLam"

George N. Hallak
http://www.aramedia.com
T 617-825-3044 F 617-265-9648