Arabic-L:LING:Attached pronouns query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 11 15:11:41 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Attached pronouns query

Date: 11 Jun 2003
From: "Michael T. Wescoat" <wescoat at cruzio.com>
Subject:Attached pronouns query

[reposted from Linguist]

I would appreciate hearing about any and all studies, written
in any language, touching on the phonology, morphology, and
syntax of attached (or affixed or clitic) pronouns in Arabic,
be it Classical, Modern Standard, or any colloquial variety.
I am especially interested in any arguments as to whether these
forms should be handled in the syntax or the lexicon.  I am
also looking for any works that provide detailed empirical
descriptions that might furnish insights into this issue.
So far I am aware only of Broselow's 1983 "A lexical treatment
of Cairene Arabic object clitics." (By the way, I am interested
in ALL attached pronouns, not just objects.)

Many thanks in advance, Michael T. Wescoat