Arabic-L:LING:Dialect Sub-classification query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jun 11 15:11:57 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Dialect Sub-classification query

Date: 11 Jun 2003
From: David Branner <branner at Glue.umd.edu>
Subject:Dialect Sub-classification query

I'm a new member of the list. One of my main fields of interest is the
sub
classification of Chinese dialects, and I've recently become curious
about
how dialect classification is practiced in language families that are
typologically very different from Chinese. I've joined this list in the
hope of learning how this work is done in Arabic.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with references to published studies
of Arabic sub classification, or with ideas about the same.

Please write to me directly, and I will summarize responses to the whole
list.

(I have to spell "sub classification" this way because the listserv
software it I spell it as one word!)

				David Branner