Arabic-L:LING:Doesn't like grammar termed 'Iraqi'

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Mar 24 23:26:38 UTC 2003

1) Subject: Doesn't like grammar termed 'Iraqi'

Date: 24 Mar 2003
From: <Sattar.Izwaini at student.umist.ac.uk>
Subject:Doesn't like grammar termed 'Iraqi'

I wonder why the title of the recent book "Eighth-Century Iraqi
Grammar: ..." link the early linguistic studies of Arabic with 'Iraq'.
There is no Iraqi Grammar, unless maybe if we talk about
nowadays spoken Iraqi Arabic. We know that there were two main
Arabic Grammar Schools of Al-Kufah and Al-Basrah. They were
within the then Islamic-Arabic state. They have always been
referred to as Grammar schools of Arabic. They never been related
to Iraq as a geographical location, but rather to the cities where
their scholars worked. Sibawayh and Al-Khalil b. Ahmad (called
Halil in the book) were not Iraqi nationals. As a state, there was no
Iraq in the eighth century AD. Iraq was a region within that state.
The modern Iraq as a state came into being after the first world war.

Using the adjective 'Iraqi' is misleading in this context.