Arabic-L:LING:Safire needs help with Arabic Names

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri May 2 17:24:11 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Safire needs help with Arabic Names

Date: 02 May 2003
From: Jim Rader <jrader at Merriam-Webster.com>
Subject:Safire needs help with Arabic Names

[moderator's note:  although you would need to respond to Kathleen
Miller, address below, I think a lot of subscribers to Arabic-L would
be interested in the response, so go ahead and copy them to Arabic-L as
well.--Dil]

This query from William Safire's research assistant was sent to the
American Name Society list.  I'm forwarding it to Arabic-L in the hopes
that someone can provide reliable information to Safire's office.  Some
totally uninformed comments on Arabic names have been appearing in
U.S. media.  Maybe list members can minimize it.  I don't really have
the qualifications.

Please reply directly to Kathleen Miller.

Jim Rader