Arabic-L:GEN:waafaqa shannun Tabaqata proverb responses

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Fri May 23 16:23:58 UTC 2003

1) Subject:waafaqa shannun Tabaqata proverb response
2) Subject:waafaqa shannun Tabaqata proverb response

Date: 23 May 2003
From: Gert Borg <g.borg at let.kun.nl>
Subject:waafaqa shannun Tabaqata proverb response

Dear Safa,

I couldn't find this proverb in my edition of Maydaani's Majma`
al-Amthaal, but in my edition of al-`Askari's Jamharat al-Amthaal it is
no. 1796 (II, 336-7). It is rendered as:
waafaqa shannun Tabaqata
Tabaqa would be the name of a tribe and shann is thought to be Shann
ibn AfSaa (?) Ibn Du`mii ibn Jadiila etc.
Commentaries by al-ASma`ii and al-Sharqii ibn al-QuTaamii

Best wishes,

Gert Borg