Arabic-L:PEDA:UofWestminster Summer Arabic Course

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu May 29 17:33:36 UTC 2003

1) Subject:UofWestminster Summer Arabic Course

Date: 29 May 2003
From: Sherin Abdelhalim <S.Abdelhalim at westminster.ac.uk>
Subject:UofWestminster Summer Arabic Course

our-week Intensive Arabic Course

The University of Westminster is offering a Four-week Intensive Arabic
Course this
summer, which may be taken as university credits, or just out of
interest.

COURSE CODE: 1LIB406 Intensive Modern Standard Arabic

DATES:  22nd July – 15th August 2003

TIMES:  Classes are held between 10:00am and 1:00pm, Monday to Friday.
Afternoons
are kept free so that you can study on your own, explore London, and/or
join our cultural
programme.

ENTRY LEVEL:  This course is open to complete Beginners, but is also
especially suitable
for students who may already know a little Arabic: for instance, those
who can read the
alphabet (e.g. through familiarity with the Qur’an) but have not
studied the grammar, or
those who have learned a bit of the language (e.g. self-taught or on
holiday) and now wish
to study it more formally.

COURSE DETAILS:  By the end of the module, students will be able to
conduct basic
conversations in Standard Arabic, read and write simple texts.  This
module is an intensive
introduction to Modern Standard Arabic, covering both written and
spoken Arabic.  The
module goes at a brisk pace, and includes formal assessment at the end.
  For this reason it
is also suitable for students who may be considering part-time study in
the Autumn, but
who would like an intensive ‘burst’ to get them going.  The type of
language and
vocabulary taught is primarily that of the modern media and personal
communication.

CREDIT VALUE OR NON-CREDIT:  This course carries 15 credits, based on
the
standard UK 120-credit academic year.  This means that you may use the
credits gained
with us towards an award at your home college, although you must
confirm with your own
institution that credit is transferable in this way.  If you elect to
study for credits you will be
required to complete assessed coursework and/or an examination.
Students successfully
completing a module on a ‘credit bearing’ basis will be awarded a
Certificate of Special
Study.  Alternatively, you may chose to take this module on a
‘non-credit’ basis, simply for
fun and intellectual stimulation, in which case you will not be
required to submit assessed
work.  Students taking a module on this basis will be presented with a
letter of attendance.

STUDY FACILITIES:
Summer School students have full access to the library and computing
facilities of the
University, including the Internet, e-mail and library borrowing
rights.  Our fully up-to-date
facilities make use of the latest standard computing software, and a
helpdesk is on hand to
offer advice and support.  Our Training Officer offers an induction
programme to make
sure that all students can make full use of our IT facilities.

CULTURAL PROGRAMME:  There is a popular programme of low-cost visits in
the
afternoons and evenings to places of interest in and around London, and
day trips at the
weekends.  You can join in a trip to Hampton Court, St. Paul's, the
Houses of Parliament,
to some of London's huge variety of museums and galleries, or relax in
one of the many
restaurants, parks or cafés, which London has to offer.

ACCOMODATION:  Students can reserve accommodation in one of our Halls of
Residence, which are close to the University and to many of London's
major attractions.
Each student has a single room.  The 2003 fee for three weeks'
accommodation in halls
from Sunday 20 July to Friday 8 August will be £410. Additional nights'
accommodation
can be reserved at a fee of £21.50 per night.  For further details,
please visit our website at
http://www.wmin.ac.uk/static/accommodation.asp.

TUITION FEES:  450.00GBP for EU students / 675.00 GBP for Non-EU
students /
Current University of Westminster home students are eligible for a
reduced fee of £175 per
module.

LOCATION:  The University of Westminster occupies a set of
architecturally distinctive
buildings in superb positions in the West End of London. All teaching
on the Liberal Arts
Summer School takes place either in our Regent Street headquarters, or
two minutes' walk
away in Little Titchfield Street, both right in the heart of central
London.
http://www.wmin.ac.uk/sshl/llass/location.html

HOW TO APPLY:
Please use the following link to download our application form in Adobe
pdf format. You
will need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader to do so.....
http://www.wmin.ac.uk/sshl/llass/llass_apply.pdf

We would ask you to complete the form and return it to us (with your
payment) by post.
You can also write to us requesting an application form, which needs to
be completed and
sent with fees to the following address:

Address:  The Liberal Arts Summer School Administrator, University of
Westminster, 16
Riding House Street, London W1W 7UW

Tel: +44 (0)20 7911 5088

Fax: +44(0) 20 7911 5175