Arabic-L:LING:NLP Phonology query

Dilworth Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Thu May 29 17:33:42 UTC 2003

1) Subject:NLP Phonology query

Date: 29 May 2003
From:hanady Ahmed <hanady at ccl.umist.ac.uk>
Subject:NLP Phonology query

Dear All,

I have built the NLP to the Arabic TTS .The syllabification has been
carried out and the place of the lexical accent has been determined in
the level of words.  I try to assign the boundaries of phonological
phrases and the major phrase tone.I have a couple of questions. I would
be pleased if someone could give me answers for :-

1-  where should the reader do pauses during reading? (normal reading ,
nothing related to semantic or pragmatic factors).

2-if i divided the utterance to chunks according to the
syntactic structures:-
will happen to the stress of the phonological words when they are been
groped in the phonological phrase?
 and  where would the phrase tone be placed ?

my best regards
Hanady Ahmed