Arabic-L:LING:Planet names in medieval Arabic query

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Nov 5 20:32:13 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Planet names in medieval Arabic query

Date: 05 Oct  2003
From:claudia boscolo <clobo70 at yahoo.com>
Subject:Planet names in medieval Arabic query

Dear All,

I am a scholar of romance philology, dealing with a
Franco-Italian text of the fourteenth century. I am
analysisng characterisation of Saracens and I came
across a linguistic problem.
I am not able to solve a verse which for me is a
complete enigma. I hope someone will be able to help.

Two planets are mentioned, the names of which are
Chavachabas and Çeli (pron: kavakabas/-us; tseli). I
wonder if anyone has any notion of similar names for
planets in Arabic, of which these two words could be
transcriptions in Franco-Italian. Also, it is said
that the first planet accomplishes its course neither
in 20 nor in 26 years.
Is anyone familiar with Arabic treaties on astronomy?

Thank you very much in advance for any help,
Claudia Boscolo
(Royal Holloway University of London)