Arabic-L:GEN:Panther and Arabic

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:33:33 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Panther and Arabic
2) Subject:Panther and Arabic

Date: 13 Nov  2003
From:Albrecht Hofheinz <Albrecht.Hofheinz at smi.uib.no>

Further to my posting of 7 Nov:

> I wonder how browsers other than Safari display vocalized text under
> Panther (Mozilla 1.5, Camino, Firebird; iCab).

Since the issue is not a Panther issue but occurs under Jaguar as well,
I suspect other browsers should behave better than Safari, as they do
under Jaguar. I tested Mozilla 1.5, Camino 0.7 and Firebird 0.7, and
they all render vocalized text well-connected (see the "Hadith of the
Day" at http://www.salafi.net/). I don't have iCab installed to check
that one.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour for Panther?

Albrecht Hofheinz

Subject:Panther and Arabic

Date: 13 Nov  2003
From:BearMeiser at aol.com

A friend of mine who is an IT guy says that he has tried the Panther
Arabic and it now renders Arabic web pages correctly.
We also found that by changing the encoding of a web page, you can fill
out forms in web pages like Google and Arabic search sites. This means
that a Mac is finally almost as good as a PC when it comes to doing
Arabic web browsing.