Arabic-L:LING:Query on comparatives of color adjectives

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Oct 24 22:17:43 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Query on comparatives of color adjectives

Date: 24 Oct  2003
From: Haruko SAKAEDANI <harukos at aa.tufs.ac.jp>
Subject:Query on comparatives of color adjectives

Dear List Members,

We cannot say " huwa 'aswadu min-haa. (lit., "It is black(er) than
it.")"
but " huwa 'ashaddu sawaadan min-haa," can we?

So can we say,
huwa 'ashaddu bayaaDan,
huwa 'ashaddu Hamaaran,
huwa 'ashaddu khaDaaran,
huwa 'ashaddu Safaaran, and
huwa 'ashaddu zaraaqan, too?

In addition to those, i have once found a sentence like
"huwa 'abyaDu min xxx" in the prophets' stories of Ibn Kathiir.
Are the sentences like "huwa 'aswad min xxx, " "huwa 'aHmar min xxx,"
and so on absolutely wrong? Or are they allowed as a matter of fact
though they are incorrect in a narrow sence?

Can we say,
huwa 'awrad (more pink <wardii), or
huwa 'abannu (more brown <bunnii), too?
How can we say "more orange-colored"?

Always thanks and always sorry for my poor English.

Haruko