Arabic-L:LING:Color Adjectives responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Oct 29 15:52:55 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Color Adjectives response
2) Subject:Color Adjectives response
3) Subject:Color Adjectives response

Date: 29 Oct  2003
From: Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject: Color Adjectives response

" huwa 'ashaddu sawaadan min-haa," can we?
yes.

So can we say,
huwa 'ashaddu bayaaDan,
yes

huwa 'ashaddu Hamaaran,
probably Humratan

huwa 'ashaddu khaDaaran,
yes

huwa 'ashaddu Safaaran, and
yes

huwa 'ashaddu zaraaqan, too?
probably zurqatan

In addition to those, i have once found a sentence like
"huwa 'abyaDu min xxx" in the prophets' stories of Ibn Kathiir.
Are the sentences like "huwa 'aswad min xxx, " "huwa 'aHmar min xxx,"
and so on absolutely wrong? Or are they allowed as a matter of fact
though they are incorrect in a narrow sence?

They are okay in colloquial, except:
huwa 'aHmar min xxx,
which means "he is more of a Humaar",
where Humaar has a number of related meanings:
idiot, ass, stupid, dumb; ignorant...

Can we say,
huwa 'awrad (more pink <wardii), or
huwa 'abannu (more brown <bunnii), too?
I would not.

How can we say "more orange-colored"?
colloquial:  da burtu'aani 'aktar (min da)