Arabic-L:TRANS:Needs multiply translated works

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Sep 8 22:48:10 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Needs multiply translated works

Date: 08 Sep 2003
From:moderator
Subject:Needs multiply translated works

A colleage in the Spanish department is doing a 'wordprint' study to
see to what extent an author's original voice is  preserved in
translations, and whether different translations do it differently.  He
is also investigating the role of various language combinations, and is
interested in identifying works of Arabic Literature, particularly
modern works, which have been translated more than once.  Here is his
message to me.  If you are interested, please contact Prof. Hague
directly at the address below:

I am beginning a study of translator subjectivity, and I need the help
of your Arabic-l folks to identify English translations of modern
Arabic literature.

Here's the skinny: I work in the Spanish department, where my principal
responsibility is translator training. I am currently reading an
interesting new (2002) book by Harold Love entitled Attributing
Authorship. The book summarizes  stylometry studies, which often
concern identifying the author of a work whose authorship is either
unknown or disputed. As a result of reading this book, I have become
interested in learning whether an original author's voice survives
translation and whether a translator's translation work creates a
stylistic fingerprint (what former BYU professors Al Rencher and John
Hilton, in separate Book of Mormon studies, labeled "wordprints")
distinct from the translator's own work. These issues have interesting
implications for how the translation process works.

I envision a study (or series of studies) that would look at several
areas:
Does a translator's translation wordprint differ from the translator's
personal work?
Does the original author's voice survive translation?
Does such survival depend on the translator? For example, do different
translators of the same work
        preserve the original author's voice?
Does survival of the original voice depend on particular language
combinations (e.g., German-English, Spanish-English, Chinese-English,
Arabic-English, Japanese-English)?

In order to do this study, I need translated texts. I know absolutely
nothing about Arabic literature, so I need help identifying solid texts
(5000 words minimum). I am most interested in modern works, and I am
especially interested in modern works that have been translated more
than once (and, naturally, by more than one translator). Could you
place a request on Arabic-l for suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Daryl Hague
Daryl_Hague at byu.edu
End of Arabic-L:  08 Sep 2003