Arabic-L:PEDA:Needs sources on Arabic Teaching in Medieval Spain

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Sep 12 22:45:54 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Needs sources on Arabic Teaching in Medieval Spain

Date: 12 Sep 2003
From: Antonio GimÈnez <huesteantigua at yahoo.es>
Subject:Needs sources on Arabic Teaching in Medieval Spain

Dear colleagues,

I am working on my dissertation about the history of the teaching of
Arabic
as a foreign language (TAFL) in Mediaeval Spain and am about to finish
my
bibliographical research. This work is intended as a part of a wider
study
of the teaching of Arabic in Spain.

Not surprisingly, because of the scarcity of coeval sources dealing with
this subject, I have not come across any previous work that specifically
addresses the history of TAFL in the Middle Ages, but, apart from those
references included in general studies about Muslim-Christian encounters
(like N. Daniel's, Southern's and many others) I have gathered some
others
from here and there, mostly concerning the two main fields where Arabic
might be required to be learnt formally by non-native speakers: the
missionary work (e.g. Dominican "studia linguarum" in the realms of the
Crown of Aragon and Tunis, Raymond Lully's foundation of the college of
Miramar, etc.) and translation activity ("Toledo and all that" as
Anthony
Pym has put it: vide
<http://www.fut.es/~apym/on-line/studies/toledo.html>,
John of Segovia, etc.).

Any ideas or suggestion would be of great help. I am also interested in
similar specific studies about the teaching of Hebrew and Latin, global
views like those of B. Bischoff ("The Study of Foreign Languages in the
Middle Ages", 1961) and J. Richard ("L'enseignement des langues
orientales
en Occident au moyen âge",1977) or references about European attitudes
Arabic language as such.

Thanks in advance,

Antonio Giménez
huesteantigua at yahoo.es

[P.S.- This same message has been posted to H-MIDEAST-MEDIEVAL list]