Arabic-L:GEN:Mellel Word Processor for Mac OS X

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Sep 18 22:39:40 UTC 2003

1) Subject:Mellel Word Processor for Mac OS X
2) Subject:Mellel Word Processor for Mac OS X

Date: 18 Sep 2003
From: Albrecht Hofheinz <Albrecht_Hofheinz at web.de>
Subject:Mellel Word Processor for Mac OS X

Mellel is not only the only fully left-to-right script capable Mac OS X
application so far, but has also received very high praise as a word
processor in itself, to compete with MS Word. Users who have nothing to
do with left-to-right script give it high marks. Have a look for
yourself at

http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13254

 From the Product Description:
Mellel is an advanced, multi-lingual word processor built for Mac OS X.
Designed for scholars and writers it offers innovative implementation
of such powerful options as page, paragraph and character styles,
tables, headers and footers, the most advanced footnotes/endnotes tool,
innovative tabs, and much more.

I would also be interested in more in-depth reviews specifically taking
into account how it handles Arabic (not least, importing of Arabic
documents). Haven't had time to do this myself yet. Mellel does not
directly open MS Word files, you have to go through RTF (where
apparently there still are some glitches). One thing I have tried: I
have been able to open Windows MS Word Arabic files by first opening
them in MS Word for OS X, then selecting all and selecting an Arabic
font for all the text, then copying this and pasting it into Mellel.
Also works if pasted into TextEdit and similar applications, but with
Mellel you get the left-to-right orientation.