Arabic-L:LING:Lexical Relationships (cont)

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 8 19:54:32 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Lexical Relationships (cont)

Date: 08 Apr 2004
From:SadokM at aol.com
Subject:Lexical Relationships (cont)

I think that the word ibn/bin should be listed in the dictionary under
B, N, Y.This stem exists in Aramaic, Arabic, and Hebrew. In Genesis
16:2 Sarah, the childless wife of Abram (Abraham) said to him ..."go in
unto my maid; I may obtain children by her....". The Hebrew verb used
for "obtain children" is the passive of B N Y, i.e. the Nif'al form,
which is the Arabic Infa'la. It is known that in old Semitic families,
the position of the wife in the  family becomes stronger when she gives
birth to male children. Furthermore, Form V of the stem  B N Y in
Arabic means 'to adopt a child'.

  Prof. Sadok Masliyah