Arabic-L:LING:Borrowing Verbs

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 8 19:54:24 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Borrowing Verbs

Date: 08 Apr 2004
From:"A. Ferhadi" <af3 at nyu.edu>
Subject:Borrowing Verbs

It has been suggested that "English "shoot, shot" (a ball toward a
goal) has become thoroughly  naturalized in Egyptian Arabic ..." To
that, I would like to add that shawwaT (Form II) is also used in Iraqi
Arabic. It seems that it has penetrated Fusha as well. A soccer game
has two half-times of 45 minutes each. In Standard Arabic, they are
called ashwaaT (and the singular is shawT) e.g. fii ash-shawT al-awwal
min al-mubaarat ... "In the first half time of the game/match ..."
shawT is a loan with no productive derivation that I know of in Arabic.

On the same subject of borrowed verbs in Arabic outside computerese,
Iraqi Arabic also uses chayyak/yichayyik "to check or look into" and
parrak/yiparrik "to park" ( both From II). By the way, Iraqi Arabic
does not substitute /b/ for /p/ because it does have the latter phoneme
as in paacha (loan from Turkish) which is a dish known as kawaari9 in
Egyptian Arabic or parda "curtain," which is also a loan word from
Turkish.

I also remember how Detroit Arabs used to say: iSTakket fi-thalij "I
was stuck in the snow."

In Gulf Arabic, to shift the transmission of the car and put it "in
reverse," the verb is rewis (this NOT Form II). The second vowel in the
word is pronounced more like a schwa. I heard this word for the first
time in Oman a couple of years ago. To my chagrin, a Pakistani car
mechanic with no knowledge of English struggled to explain to me what
it meant in his broken Arabic.

Finally, Arabic Sifr and English cipher (spelled cypher in British
English) both mean zero. Which language borrowed from the other?

Ahmed Ferhadi
New York University