Arabic-L:GEN:invitation to participate in the NFLC LangNet site

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Thu Dec 16 19:27:29 UTC 2004

1) Subject:invitation to participate in the NFLC LangNet site

Date: 16 Dec  2004
From:"Lampe, Gerald" <glampe at nflc.org>
Subject:invitation to participate in the NFLC LangNet site

Dear Colleagues:

On a pilot basis, the National Foreign Language Center at the
University of Maryland (NFLC) is making the LangNet site with its
current collection of learning objects available to a number of
academic institutions in Academic Year 04-05.  Web access will be free
to participating institutions during this pilot phase. This experiment
will, we hope, give us a better understanding of the potential value of
our materials to students and teachers in an academic setting.  Since
we do not receive any funding to support use of LangNet outside
government agencies, we must plan carefully to assure that we provide
adequate support for academic users.

LangNet currently has materials in the following Languages: Arabic
(MSA, Iraqi, Levantine, Egyptian); Chechen; Chinese (Mandarin,
traditional characters);  Hindi; Korean (in September); Kurdish
(Sorani); Pashto; Persian/Farsi; Spanish; Turkmen; Urdu; Uzbek; West
Punjabi .  Since we can accommodate a finite number of institutions, we
need to hear from you whether your institution is likely to be
willing/able to participate in a pilot, and how many students in which
LangNet-supported languages might benefit.

Institutional commitment:
Institutions that participate will be asked to

	•        provide a central point of contact to coordinate all
communication with 	LangNet
	•        cooperate in non-burdensome research on student/teacher use
of the materials
	•        observe copyright restrictions that limit use of LangNet to
faculty and 	enrolled students of participating institutions.
	Note: Participation does not imply any longer-term commitment  to use
LangNet 	materials.

We haven’t yet determined whether we will be able to provide LangNet
materials in CD-ROM format, but if we are able to do so, we will have
to charge institutions for those CDs, as there are costs associated
with them.

If your institution is a likely pilot site, please e-mail me with any
of the following information you can readily provide:

	•        Your contact Information
		o       First Name
		o       Last Name
		o       Email Address
		o       Institution
		o       Phone Number
		o       Business Address
		o       Language(s) of Interest
	•        LangNet languages of interest for your institution (Please
share this 	information with colleagues who teach LangNet-supported
languages)
	•        Any information on how many students at your campus are
studying at what 	proficiency levels for each language
	•        A contact person who would be likely to coordinate use on
your campus and 	his/her e-mail address

We are also gathering information on other potential uses of LangNet,
and one that has emerged is use by more-proficient heritage students,
some of whom are in community-based programs. If you have
recommendations on other venues where LangNet materials could be used,
please pass that information along to us as well.

Many thanks for your assistance!

 Please email your response to Academe at nflc.org. If you are choosing to
participate we will then reply with user name(s), passwords and
directions.