Arabic-L:LING:Al-imra'a responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Feb 12 20:51:50 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Al-imra'a response
2) Subject:Al-imra'a response
3) Subject:Al-imra'a response
4) Subject:Al-imra'a response
5) Subject:Al-imra'a response
6) Subject:Al-imra'a response

Date: 12 Feb 2004
From:rberjak at shaw.ca
Subject:Al-imra'a response

Hi,
According to Lisan Al-alarab the alif in imraa is alif alwasul and the
ancient Arabs used to say mra'a as the feminine form for mra ( man).
They
used the alif in both they said imra and imra'a when they defined they
said
almra (the man) and almara'a (the woman) they never said alimra. Now
we, the
contemporary Arabs do not use the word imra for man and we wrongly
define
imra'a as al imra'a. So in the dictionary the proper way is almra'a and
alimra'a is a common mistake but it is too popular to be seen so. Hoping
this helps and good luck.
Rafik Berjak