Arabic-L:PEDA:Passive Voice Response

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:05:48 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Passive Voice Response

Date: 20 Feb 2004
From:akhalil at bethlehem.edu
Subject:Passive Voice Response

Hi,

When I teach the Arabic passive, I focus on tree main
points:

A. TYPES: regular (kataba-kutiba) and 'infa`ala
(reflexive verb) forms ('inkasara)
B. Pragmatic/disoursal functions: unknown agent;
avoidin g the mentioning of the agent; suspense
C. Qur'anic use: We have examples in the Qur'an in
which the semantic "agent" is mentioned in a passive
sentence (e.g. yaa 'ayyuha n-nabiyyu ttabi` maa
'uuHiya 'ilayaka min rabbika.). Other examples
include bi- (e.g., bi-T-Taaghiya).

Aziz Khalil
Chair of the English Department,
Associate Professor of Applied Linguistics,
Bethlehem University,
P.O.Box 9, Bethlehem, Palestine
Tel. #: 00972-2-2744342 (Home)
            00972-2-2741241 (Office) Ext. 2452