Arabic-L:LING:Sound symbolism in Arabic query

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Jan 9 20:08:37 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Sound symbolism in Arabic query

Date: 09 Jan 2004
From:Vrsan Lestaric <fursan at eunet.yu>
Subject:Sound symbolism in Arabic query

Hi all,

I am interested in onomatopoeic words in Arabic (tasmiya\kalima
muHAkiya), in both MSA and the colloquial language.Wright and Haywood
mention it only when speaking of quadriliteral verbs and the extensive
grammar by Teufik Muftic (Sarajevo,1998) refers to it briefly, again
only in the interjections section. Can anyone tell me something more
about it or give me reference concerning sound symbolism in Arabic (all
of it: corporal, imitative, synesthetic, conventional) as well as its
forms (e.g. reduplication, phonaestheme).

Thanks,
Vrsan Lestaric
Belgrade