Arabic-L:LING:wallaahi

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jan 26 16:04:53 UTC 2004

1) Subject:wallaahi
2) Subject:wallaahi
3) Subject:wallaahi

Date: 09 Jan 2004
From:Waheed Samy <wasamy at umich.edu>
Subject:wallaahi

Concerning Kenneth Ayouby's question:
"Pardon my ignorance, but I am curious to know why "wa-Allah" is being
considered a particle, and not a phrase"

Wallaahi consists of "wa", and "allah".

Wa is called waaw al qasam, and has the effect of making the case of the
following noun genetive.

Wallaahi is equivalent to "by God", and it means really/honest/I swear.

Waheed