Arabic-L:term for basic form of words: summary and thanks

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Jul 12 22:43:53 UTC 2004

1) Subject:term for basic form of words: summary and thanks

Date: 12 Jul 2004
From:Munther Younes <may2 at cornell.edu>
Subject:term for basic form of words: summary and thanks

I would like to thank the following colleagues for responding to my
question about the most appropriate term for the basic or dictionary
form of a word:
Tim Buckwalter, G. Mejdell, Jackie Murgida, Ernest McCarus, Abdessatar
Mahfoudhi, David Wilmsen, Mike Schub, Tom Emerson, Nori Heikkinen.

I should have explained  in my earlier message that I was planning to
use the term in an introductory (Arabic) language textbook. That would
limit the options to "citation form" or "stem"; "verbum" and "lemma"
strike me as being too technical for such a context. There were no
suggestions of an Arabic term. I am still wondering if there is one
besides the word "kalima" such as "Siigha mujarrada" that is used in
Arabic grammars.

Munther Younes

1)