Arabic-L:PEDA:More on Children's books

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed Jul 28 15:19:33 UTC 2004

1) Subject:More on Children's books
2) Subject:More on Children's books

Date: 27 Jul 2004
From:ArabLDS at hotmail.com
Subject:More on Children's books

I have a follow-up query to the children's book issue.

I am in the process of trying to teach my children Arabic.  It's far
from
perfect, but my daughter has shown me just how adept kids are at
picking up
the basics.  Anyhow, I have been able to get her the excellently-dubbed
Egyptian Arabic Disney DVDs via relatives in the Gulf (and hack codes
off
the internet which even on an NTSC TV turned my $20 DVD player into a
PAL
playing machine!).  What I have not been able to find is good Arabic
kids
educational software -- something my daughter takes to extremely well in
English and could really help her in Arabic.  The closest thing I've
been
able to find is a tantalizingly well-done but extremely short online
game
from Arabic Sesame Street which can be found by clicking through from
here:
http://www.sesameworkshop.org/international/portal.php (click on either
alim
or hikayat simsim, then labit al-usra and then labit athar al-aqdam).
Does
anyone know:

(1) Where I can find good Arabic children's software, preferably
utilizing
Egyptian dialect or a blend of dialect and Fusha?
(2) If it is possible to get Alam or Hikayat Simsim on DVD or VHS?
This it
also turns out so far has proven nearly impossible.

Jamal Qureshi