Arabic-L:PEDA:CD ROM and Online Course Discussion

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Jun 3 22:42:23 UTC 2004

1) Subject:CD ROM and Online Course Discussion

Date: 03 Jun 2004
From:Iman Soliman <halleluiah3 at yahoo.com>
Subject:CD ROM and Online Course Discussion

Dear David,
I think I have always been skeptical of it myself but I do believe that
every tool can always add variety, enrich teaching techniques and
supplement classroom teaching. There are many advanatages for CD
programmes. CDs are, in my own personal opinion, a very clever
substitute for old boring language labs as they add an
interactive dimension as well as  assessment features  which were
lacking.
 However, having mentioned interactivity, I always like to quote Ann
Malamah Thomas 1987 who claims that a teachers' plan of action in the
classroom no matter how detailed or sketchy evokes some sort of student
reaction. When the teacher allows this reaction to chisel the original
plan of action then and only then can we say that interaction
occurs. Well this kind of interaction which leads to real communication
is slightly different from the stimulus response feedback sort of
transactions we get in CD programmes.  Again, Cds are cheaper to
maintain than labs and  can give the students hours of practice to
grind at difficult material at their own pace (old familiar teacher's
moto "drill and practice" They can cut on photocopying expenses and
limit school's use of substitute teachers since they can always assign
their students to some CD programme if the teacher is absent, provided
they have the hardware.
  They are also a more familiar medium of learning than books to the new
Hi-tech generation.
  I do believe they are excellent vocabulary learning boosters and  can
also serve instead of students' workbooks as they offer immediate
feedback which can save the teacher hours of marking simple HW
assignments (non essay type) and allow the learners more practice on
things they get wrong.
  However, CDs can only address general student needs rather than
specific and personal needs which does not really lend itself
to humanistic and natural approaches to teaching (debateable but..)
They  also teach  students in vacum and isolation which is not really
the natural medium for using any language. They also add a complex
dimension to the text versus user authentic conteroversial issue and
the learners' creativity in language use.
  This brings us back to whether we should make CDs at all. Well my
answer is yes, variety is important and the more programmes we have on
CDs the richer Arabic teaching resources will be especially with
audiovisual material. But whether they are self sufficiant I guess you
have answered this question yourself when you said "they may be better
than nothing for someone who has no access to live
teaching, I think that their true utility lies in reinforcement and
review of things
already learned" which is also an integrative part of succesful
learning and teaching.
Well, this is my very subjective,  unresearched opinion, as an Arabic
teacher.
  Good luck with developing your programme and please let us know when
it is out.
Iman