Arabic-L:PEDA:Arabic Heritage Learners query

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri Mar 5 22:53:28 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Arabic Heritage Learners query

Date: 05 Mar 2004
From:Maher Awad <awadm at sas.upenn.edu>
Subject:Arabic Heritage Learners query

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to learn more about the topic of Arabic
heritage learners in the classroom.  Specifically, I would
like to know if a program you are associated with (or one
you know well) offers an Arabic language class predominantly
for Arabic heritage students, alongside other non-heritage
(regular) Arabic classes.  What are your impressions of the
advantages and disadvantages of offering such a class?
Please reply to me off-list, and I will summarize the

Maher Awad
Arabic Language Program
University of Pennsylvania