Arabic-L:LING:NEW BOOK:Grammar of Amazigh

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Wed May 12 22:49:27 UTC 2004

1) Subject:Grammar of Amazigh

Date: 12 Mar 2004
From:estry at iam.net.ma
Subject:Grammar of Amazigh

A Grammar of Amazigh (Berber)

By: Fatima Sadiqi and Moha Ennaji

Publications of the Faculty of Letters 1, Fès, Morocco (2004

The grammar of Amazigh presented in this book is a descriptive
simplified grammar of the language. It draws from a number of previous
Amazigh grammars, particularly Sadiqi’s (1997) Grammaire du Berbère and
Abdul-Massih’s (1991) Grammar of Tamazight. This book is aimed at
contributing to facilitate the standardisation of Amazigh at a time
when the teaching of the language has become a reality. Descriptive
grammars of the Amazigh language are necessary for writing primary
school textbooks, with the aim of teaching Amazigh for the first time
in the history of Morocco.

              We have not presupposed any apriori particular theoretical
framework in the writing of this grammar, but we use widely adopted and
cross-theoretical broad concepts in modern linguistics such as the
notion of the phoneme, that of a morpheme, or that of a subordinate
clause. In an effort to be as clear as possible, we capitalized more on
delineating the major aspects of the language that cannot be
circumvented in the teaching of, or writing about, Amazigh as a
language.

              This book contains three major chapters: phonology,
morphology, and syntax. The chapters are inter-related in the sense
that each one of them feeds into the others and a combination of the
three constitutes the grammar (in its broadest sense) of Amazigh.

For further information, please contact: mennaji2002 at yahoo.fr