Arabic-L:PEDA:CD ROM and Online Course Opinion Query

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Fri May 28 22:25:28 UTC 2004

1) Subject:CD ROM and Online Course Opinion Query

Date: 28 Mar 2004
From:dwilmsen at aucegypt.edu
Subject:CD ROM and Online Course Opinion Query

Speaking of Arabic CD Rom courses, I should like to ask the opinion of
others
on this list
about such things, including on-line Arabic learning resources.  I
myself am
skeptical
about the utility of electronic resources as primary learning tools.
While
admitting that
they may be better than nothing for someone who has no access to live
teaching, I think
that their true utility lies in reinforcement and review of things
already
learned.  Maybe I
am old fashioned.  But for me, the question is of more than purely
academic
interest, as I
am now being asked about developing an on-line learning element to the
Arabic
language
offerings in my department - and maybe to the translation component too
(about
which I
am even more skeptical).

Does anyone have any ideas?

David Wilmsen
Director, Arabic and Translation Studies
The American University in Cairo
28 Falaki Street
Bab El-Louk
Cairo, Egypt