Arabic-L:LING:Language Guide, Free Language Resource Needs Help

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Fri Sep 24 18:43:42 UTC 2004

Arabic-L: Fri 24 Sep  2004

1) Subject:Language Guide, Free Language Resource Needs Help

Date: 24 Sep  2004
From:tom at languageguide.org
Subject:Language Guide, Free Language Resource Needs Help

Dear Dilworth Parkinson,
I'm writing on behalf of Language Guide, a non-profit organization that
sponsors the development of free language resources.  Our organization
plans on sponsoring the development of an Arabic grammar guide and
would like to partner with professors/teachers/grad students in this
endeavor. I would greatly appreciate you distributing this email to the
American Association of Teachers of Arabic mailing list.

The guide will be sound integrated. Students will be able to hear the
Arabic pronounced by placing the cursor over word. In addition to
covering grammar, it will  feature extensive vocabulary and audio based
quizzes. Language Guide will take care of the sound integration and all
technical aspects of the project. When complete, the guide will be
released under a Creative Commons License that, so long as the original
authors are given credit, will allow for its redistribution and
modification for non-commercial use-
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/ .  Right now, anyone
can participate as a volunteer, however since developing an Arabic
guide is such a major endeavor, our organization is pursuing grants
that will go toward paying stipends to authors to to develop this
guide.

With the help of some Arabic speaking volunteers, a basic sound
integrated Arabic grammar guide has been developed -
http://www.languageguide.org/arabic/grammar/ . (Hover your cursor over
the bluish words to hear them pronounced.) This guide could serve as a
starting point for any future guide, however a different approach could
be adopted. Language Guide has also developed a tool to learn and
practice Arabic script- http://www.languageguide.org/im/alpha/ar . You
can find out the resources the organization has developed at
http://www.languageguide.org/overview/ . A pictorial vocabulary guide
was also developed for Arabic, however because there are so many
irregular plural nouns I'm not sure this is the best way for learning
Arabic nouns.

If you have any questions or would like additional information, you may
email me - tom at languageguide.org or call me at 512-244-3930.

Best wishes,
Thomas Blackmon
President, Language Guide