Arabic-L:LING:Response to Etymology Query (Janjaweed)-continued

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Fri Sep 24 18:43:49 UTC 2004

Arabic-L: Thu 01 Jul  2004

1) Subject:Response to Etymology Query (Janjaweed)-continued

Date: 01 Jul 2004
From:Mutarjm at aol.com
Subject:Response to Etymology Query (Janjaweed)-continued

Greetings to all in the thread: Response to Etymology Query
(Janjaweed).

Re the post by Tagelsir Eprayah in that thread that "the rifles that
they (janjaweed) use is called (Jiim Three), which is widely used by
the military of Sudan."

ANS: That reference would be to the Heckler & Koch G-3 rifle (7.62mm).
Sudan's military received sizable quantities of those from the former
Shah of Iran during Al-Numeiry's reign. Actually, those G-3s
were Iranian-manufactured copies, made under license with H&K, as were
knock-offs of the NATO-standard MG-3 light machine gun (descendant of
the MG-42 used by the Wehrmacht during WWII), which the then-Shah also
delivered to Sudan in the 1970s. I noticed the Farsi factory
proof-marks stamped on the receivers of many of G-3s and MG-3s when I
was in Sudan in 1981 several times.

That fact those individual weapons still functioned and fired --
despite years of abuse and neglect -- was a tribute to good engineering
and sturdy workmanship, as the concept of "operator maintenance"
assumed different dimensions of importance in the Sudanese military's
organizational vocabulary and field of concern. That aside, the
Sudanese showed considerable imagination in being able to keep some
pre-WWII-vintage British Bren gun carriers still running inside one of
the military schools near Khartoum Airport. (FWIW, Sudanese tankers
loathed the Russian T-54 tanks as maintenance nightmares and used them
often just as semi-fixed armored pillboxes to cover and secure
major road intersections in the capital.)

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California