Arabic-L:TRANS:A New Translation of Zakariyya Tamir's short stories

Nathan Arp nja9 at email.byu.edu
Fri Sep 24 18:48:13 UTC 2004

1) Subject:A New Translation of Zakariyya Tamir's short stories

Date: 24 Sep  2004
From:Studioworks <srpkole at EUnet.yu>
Subject:A New Translation of Zakariyya Tamir's short stories

Hi all,

A new collection of 59 short stories by Zakariyya Tamir is out in
Belgrade (Zekerija Tamir: Kiselo grozdje. Paideia, Beograd, 2004, ISBN
86-7448-217-1, 126+12 pg's). It is the complete translation to the
Serbian language of Tamir's "al-HuSrum" (the author himself pronounces
it so), [Sour Grapes], riyaaD al-rayyis li-l-kutub wa al-nashr, 2000.
The contract was signed and the final text of translation delivered
back in March 2002, but the publisher proved able to waste no less than
two years and a half. If this perhaps does not seem as a big deal, let
me mention that the translation was ready a little before the original
book appeared in Arabic, for Tamir sent me the original by e-mail as
soon as it was done in his workshop. However, in spring 2000 no one of
the then Yugoslav publishers was apt to sustain expenses of bringing
the author from Oxford for the sake of making here the first world
promotion of the book, though Tamir is pretty well known between the
audience of former Yugoslavia (this is his fifth collection in Serbian
during 4 years, since I started translating his works).

Two more Serbian translations of Tamir's books are in preparation at
the moment: the newest, taksiir rukab, and nidaa' nuuH (both finished,
under negotiations with publisher).

Cheers,
Srpko Lestaric