Arabic-L:LING:Tooth Expression responses

Dilworth Parkinson dilworth_parkinson at byu.edu
Thu Apr 7 17:05:02 UTC 2005

1) Subject:Tooth Expression responses

Date: 07 Apr  2005
From:Dil Parkinson <dil at byu.edu>
Subject:Tooth Expression responses

Thanks for the many responses to the request about the tooth
expression.  I have sent them on to the requester, and now I know
exactly what to do when my teeth start falling out from old age.  Here
are the responses for those who are interested:

> ya shams ya shamosa khodi senet elgamosa we hati senet alarees

> Dear all,
the correct text of this children`s rhyme should be:  ya shams ya
shammuusa, xudi sinnit iggamuusa wi haati sinnit ilCaruusa "Sun, dear
sun, take the tooth of the buffalo, and give me the tooth of the
bride". This is the Lower Egyptian variant of this rhyme which children
recite when they loose their milk teeth and get adult teeth. I.e., they
take the tooth they lost and throw it into the direction of the sun
quoting this verse (I have been told that they try to throw it over the
house). The procedure is mentioned briefly in H. Ammar, Growing up in
an Egyptian village, London 1954, p.104 below.
The Upper Egyptian variant would be:  xudi sinnit ilHumaar wi haati
sinnit ilghazaal "take the tooth of the donkey and give me the tooth of
the gazelle". In Dakhla oasis (ilBashandi) I noted: ya shmeesa ya
shmeesa, xudiilik danshit ilHeema, wu hatiili danshit CiDeema "Sun,
dear sun, take a piece of meat/flesh and give a piece of bone". Other
variants and more information can be found in Hans Alexander Winkler,
Ägyptische Volkskunde, Stuttgart 1936, p.196-201, and Hans Alexander
Winkler, Bauern zwischen Wasser und Wüste. Stuttgart 1934, p.153-155.
Best regards
Manfred Woidich
University of Amsterdam

_____

Growing up in Cairo (more than half a century ago) I heard this
expression
in the following context. When a boy or a girl looses one of the baby
teeth,
s/he takes it outdoor and throws it as high and as far as possible while
singing or reciting that expression (ya shams ya shammosa khodi sinnet
elgamosa we hati sinnet [al-arousa]alarees). Of course this happens in
the
day time while the sun is brightly shining. The hope is to invoke a
request
to the tooth fairy (or angel) to intercede with God to replace the
fallen
tooth with a better one. The implication here is that "sinnet
algamousa" is
the ugly fallen one and "sinnet alarousa/alarees is the requested
bueatiful
one. Don't we all like to have beautiful teeth like those of arousa or
arees. [no hidden agenda is contemplated to undermine the cosmetic
dental
business]
Salaam
Muhammad S. Eissa, Ph. D.
President, EISSA & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
Arabic and Islamic Consulting & Education
2020 Orrington Ave., Evanston, IL 60201
Ph. (847) 869-4775
Fax. (847) 869-4773
E.MAIL: eissa at comcast.net

______

I am told by a native Egyptian that this is sung to children when they
lose a tooth (i.e. to the Tooth Fairy ); it sounds much better in
Arabic to be sure; but the last bit is probably to the effect of "take
this cow's tooth and send one from a bridegroom".

Perhaps someone can offer a clearer explanation as to its origins. It's
funny anyway...
hth,
william.
--
William J. Kopycki
Middle East Studies Librarian
kopycki at pobox.upenn.edu

______

This expression is said as a wish or (a prayer, if will) when a child
loses
his/her tooth. Addressing the sun (Shams) he/she wishes that it takes
the lost
tooth (referred to her as that of Water Buffalo's) and replaces it with
the
beautiful tooth of a Bride. Notice here that last word should be Arusa
(Bride)and not Arees (Groom),to maintain the balance of the rhyme. Of
course,
this could be a boy, not a girl.
Ahmed A Kraima

______

that seems to be the phrase they say when a kid looses a baby
tooth. (equivalent to tooth fairy folklore here).

so, the sun is supposed to take the baby tooth and give an
nice adult tooth instead. (a groom's tooth)
Hala Jawlakh

______

I think, we say this phrase when, as a child, one loses the milk teeth
(sinnat al-gamusa)and we make this "prayer" in the hope that our new
teeth will be nice and straight and that it will bring a "arees"!
meaning a husband. I think our grand mothers used to make us i.e
(moslty girls) say this. There are many versions of this saying: there
is no 'arees mentioned in the Tunisian version for example.

I hope this helps,
Ikram

______

This is the standard phrase used in Egypt when a child looses a milk
tooth,  while throwing the milk tooth towards the sun.
Frédéric Lagrange

______

The expression means the following : Bright Sun, please take the tooth
of
the buffalo and get me the tooth of the bride. This expression is almost
exclusively used when a child (particularly a gir) loses a milk tooth.
The
child is invariably asked to throw away the tooth in the sunshine and
say
these words.

Amira Nowaira
Department of English
Alexandria University

______

This is a part of an Egyptian children rhyme, which is said in case of
loosing a baby tooth. While saying the rhyme, the child throws his or
her
tooth up in the air thinking that the sun will catch it and replace it
eventually with a good adult tooth. The literal translation means "Oh,
sunny
sun take the buffalo tooth and give me a bride's tooth ('arousa, in the
original, never heard it with 'arees).

Omima El Araby

______

The Libyan version goes approximately like this:  ya shams ya shamusa
ya ?awaynat al-?arusa -- khudhii sin hmaar -- wa -?aTiinii sin
ghazaal.

Oh sun, oh brilliant sun, like the eyes of the bride, take this
donkey's tooth and give me the tooth of a deer.

A Libyan child who loses a tooth will go out and throw the baby tooth
as far as he can towards the sun, asking the sun to take the ugly (like
a donkey) old tooth and replace it with a permanent tooth as beautiful
as a deer (traditional symbol of beauty).   In the Egyptian version
quoted, the reference is to the ugly water buffalo (gamusa or jamusa)
and the handsome groom (?ariis).

Hussein M. Elkhafaifi
Assistant Professor of Arabic
Department of Near Eastern Languages & Civilization
229 Denny Hall Box 353120
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3120

______

The translation of this phrase: "Sun, take the tooth of the cow and get
me a
new tooth of the bride". It is a phrase that usually most of kids say it
when they start changing their "milky teeth". Kids stand by the window
in
the morning and throw their milky teeth and say: "ya shams ya shamosa
khodi
senet elgamosa we hati senet alarees" Most of the parent tell their
kids "if
you do so, the sun will get you a new one soon". And by the way it is
also a
phrase in a song for kids.

Regards ,
Shereen Salah

______

Hi Dil
This basically is like talking to the tooth fairy. The saying is used
basically to tell the sun to take the tooth of the bull and give us
back the tooth of the groom. Take an ugly tooth and give us a beautiful
tooth. I guess it would be used by/ for children. The saying sounds
Egyptian.

take care
Bushra

______

This is said when children are in the age of changing teeth, whenever
one tooth falls they say this.
so they loose a bad tooth(the cow's/water buffalo  tooth) and ask for a
better one(the Arousa which means the pretty girl). This is equivalent
to putting the tooth under the pillow.
Zeinab Ibrahim
______

The expression we used to say when we were kids when loosing a tooth,
it means that hay sunny sun take the buffalo's tooth and give me a new
strong one of a beautiful girl.  But now kids are using another
expression which is ya shams ya shamousa khodi senet el nanousa wa
idiha senna gedida takul biha elbassbousa.
Saharag

______

As far as I know, it is said when children change their teeth and they
should throw it facing the sun.thus the sun will respond replacing the
old teeth with a new and healthy one.

jehan elhakim

______

hello,
this sentence is usually used when small kids strat lose their (milk )
teeth and when ever a kid lose a tooth he would face the sun and
make an offrand in saying this sentence. which is simply a prayer (plea)
made to the sun askin her (sun is feminin in arabic) to give him/her a
new
tooth prettier than the one he had.
in some dialects the formula is :
ya shams ya shamousa xodi sinn al himar we a3tini sinn al ghazal
which means
oh sun take the tooth of the donky (or the cattle tooth) and give me the
tooth of the deer.
something like this
menna048 at uottawa.ca